Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

To obtain a marriage license, each applicant must be at least 18 years old (or 17 years old with parent or legal guardian's consent).

The State of Oregon does not require medical examinations or blood tests.

No witnesses are required to receive the license. Two witnesses are necessary at the wedding ceremony.

If you are planning a marriage after a divorce, your final divorce date is required on the marriage license application. A marriage can take place one day after the final date of a divorce (as long as the three-day waiting period is met).

There is a three-day waiting period from the day our office provides you with an active license until a license may be used. The waiting period can be waived under certain circumstances and only when a waiver is approved by the County Clerk. The license is valid for 60 days after the effective date. The license is valid only in Oregon.

The application form requires that both the bride and groom identify on the legal names they will be taking after marriage. (see additional rules regarding change of name.)

Cost of a License:
A $50 license fee is due when the license is submitted to the Clerk's Office. If mail service is requested, send the $50 fee plus $3 for postage. Make your check payable to: Clatsop County Clerk.

How to Apply:
The marriage license instruction form will assist you when completing your application form. All required information must be typed or printed legibly and completely, otherwise, the application will be returned. Both the bride and groom must sign where indicated. Do not complete the "official use only" section. Bring or mail the completed application to the Clatsop County Clerk’s Office at 820 Exchange Street, Suite 220, Astoria, OR 97103.

Please review the Last Name Taken After Marriage information sheet provided by the State of Oregon which provides information regarding possible name changes for either party upon marriage.

You may apply for your marriage license in three ways:
In person: You can come to the Clatsop County Clerk’s Office at 820 Exchange Street, Suite 220, Astoria, OR 97103 and complete the application process in our office.

By mail: If you wish to apply by mail, you can request an application by calling us at (503) 325-8511. You may request an application through the mail by sending an e-mail to (please include your mailing address with your e-mail request.) You may also request an application by mail by printing and completing this form and mailing it to the Clatsop County Clerk's Office, 820 Exchange St., Suite 220, Astoria, OR 97103.

By computer: you can fill out the Marriage License Application Form and print it out on 8 1/2 x 14" paper. NOTE: This form cannot be saved once completed.

You MUST print the application on a white 8 1/2 x 14" piece of paper. 
Make sure to check your printer settings so that the form prints out full size. 

If your printed application does not meet these specifications it will be returned and your marriage license will be delayed.

You can complete the process by mail or by bringing it into the County Clerk's Office for activation.

When to Apply:
Apply at least three days, but not more than 60 days, prior to the ceremony date. Upon receipt of the license in the office of the County Clerk, a three-day waiting period will begin with the license being valid for 60 days thereafter. The waiting period can be waived under certain circumstances. Contact the Clerk's Office for additional information.

Certified Copy of Marriage License:
As part of your marriage license packet, you will receive an embossed marriage certificate for the bride and groom. This is a memento certificate and is not a legal marriage record.

The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles and the Social Security Administration require a certified copy of your marriage record to make a name change. You may purchase a certified copy of your marriage record through the mail for $7.75 (plus $3 postage and handling). When requesting the license, please indicate the date of the wedding, the name of the bride and groom and the address where the license should be mailed. Please make the request two weeks after the date of the wedding to make sure the document has been recorded.

Ceremony Officiated by the County Clerk:
The County Clerk can perform marriage ceremonies in the Clerk's Office. The fee for this is $100. For information or to schedule an appointment to have a marriage ceremony officiated by the County Clerk, contact our office at (503) 325-8511 or

A partial list of Wedding Officiants in Clatsop County is provided for your convenience:

Stephanie Ansley, (503) 436-0220 or (866) 871-0220

Rev. Timothy Barnhart, (503) 440-0023 or (503) 440-3693

Rev. Barbara Beach, (503) 717-4302

Judge Paula Brownhill, (503) 325-8555

Mary Browning, (503) 440-1915

Thomas L. Chatterton, (503) 738-3183

Clatsop County Clerk, (503) 325-8511

Rev. Palmer J. Crandell, (503) 861-1712

Patricia Durkin, (503) 436-1979

Rev. Abe Guretzki (Ebenhart), (503) 436-0317

Rev. Maureen Haley, (503) 888-9876

Norma Hernandez, (503) 325-4547

Pastor Kris Huckins, (503) 470-0150

Christina Irvine, (503) 368-3939

Joseph LaPoint, (503) 791-4111

Rev. Sue Lenahan, (503) 330-7574

Judge Cindee Matyas, (503) 325-8555 or (503) 440-2104

Rev. Elisabeth McCrea, (503) 368-4171

Judge Bob Moberg, (503) 738-6388

Pastor Philip Morrill, (503) 325-1200 or (503) 791-7876 (cell)

Judge Phil Nelson, (503) 325-8536

Minister Trudie Phillips, (503) 738-9919

Minister H Mark Ray, (503) 440-4193

Rev. Ann Robben-Dott, (503) 338-2946

Rev. Susan Romersa, (503) 717-1344,

Judge Dale Shafer, (home) (503) 436-2898, (work) (503) 436-1027

Rev. Tamsel Tack, (503) 556-9862,

Rev. Kevin Violette, (503) 325-2317

Julene West, (503) 325-7351

Rev. Glenn Williamson, (402) 606-9107

Joan Levine & Alan Winter, (503) 287-8737