Structural Permits

Structural Permits

When do I need a structural permit?
A permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, move or demolish any one- or two-family dwelling or related structure. For example, you need a building permit to:

  • Add a room.
  • Build, demolish or move a carport, garage or shed of more than 200 square feet.
  • Finish an attic, garage or basement to make additional habitable living space.
  • Cut a new window or door opening or widen existing openings.
  • Move, remove or add walls.
  • Apply roofing when all of the old roofing is removed and new sheathing is installed.
  • Build a stairway.
  • Build a retaining wall more than four feet high from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
  • Build a deck more than 30 inches above grade.
  • Put up a fence more than six feet high.
  • Move more than 50 cubic yards of earth or any amount of cut or fill on sites affected by waterways or slope hazards.

What information will I need to get a permit?
You will need two sets of plans for new construction of homes or remodeling that clearly show all work on the building and where the building sits on the property. Typical plans include a site plan, floor plans and cross sections showing construction details. In addition, you will need:

  • The address and legal description of the property
  • A description of the work proposed
  • The owner's name, address and phone number
  • If a contractor is doing the work, the contractor's name, address, phone number and state license number

How do I get an inspection?
A certified inspector must inspect any work done under a permit.

You may either fax (503-338-3666) or phone (503-338-3698) in an inspection request. Inspections can be requested prior to 7:30 a.m. for that day's inspection schedule.

Monday and Wednesday - North County - Camp Rilea north on Highway 101, Warrenton, Astoria to Olney, Youngs River, Highway 30 Svensen, Knappa, Westport, Birkenfeld.

Tuesday and Thursday - South County - Camp Rilea south on Highway 101, Gearhart, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Arch Cape, Highway 26, Highway 53, Jewell.

When you call, you will be asked for the permit number, homeowner's name, project address, type of inspection needed and date on which inspection is desired. Be prepared to furnish detailed directions to the job site.

Unless all of the work is outside and accessible, an adult needs to be at the site to provide access for the inspector.