Recording hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, except holidays. Documents received after 4 p.m. will be recorded the next business day. Our mailing address and physical location are: Clatsop County Clerk, 820 Exchange St., Suite 220, Astoria, OR 97103. When mailing a request, please include the document number and the year of recordation. Please see recording fee schedule for recording and mailing costs. Please make checks payable to: Clatsop County Clerk. We cannot process your request without the correct payment.
Documents submitted for recording must be:
1. Property noted in the document must be within Clatsop County
2. Paper not less than 20 lb opaque bond of sufficient quality for photographic reproduction that will not permit “bleed-through” if printed on both sides.
3. Originals with original signatures and notary stamps; no photocopies (unless certified copies) or electronically-generated reproductions (especially of signatures or notary seals).
4. Paper not larger than 14 inches long and 8 ½ inches wide
5. Margins as follows: Top of page – 2”, Sides of page – 1”, and Bottom of page 1-2”. Documents must have sufficient space to add a recording label
6. Type size must be 8 point or larger
7. Ensure all attached exhibits or attachments are referenced in the document
8. Check that the legal description is attached, if required
9. Contain the appropriate information required on the first page.
First Page Requirements
The FIRST page shall contain the following information (ORS 205.234). If not on the first page, an additional fee of $20 will be charged (ORS 205.327). A cover sheet may be used when presenting the document for recording (ORS 205.234(2)).
1. Name(s) of the transaction(s). A document must be clearly labeled in sufficient detail to enable the clerk to record the instrument in the appropriate record. A document describing two or more transactions between the same two parties and involving the same properties recordable as separate documents, may be recorded when the document is clearly labeled with the names of the transactions (ORS 205.236(1).
2. Names of the parties. Names of all parties must be listed on the first page. (ORS 205.234). Documents with multiple titles must have the names of the parties clearly listed on the first page or cover sheet (ORS 205.160(1)(7) and ORS 205.125(1)(a) and (b).
3. Return To. The name and address of the person to whom the document will be returned (ORS 205.180(4).
4. Consideration. The true and actual consideration paid (ORS 93.030 (1), (2) and (5). Required on documents conveying or contracting to convey fee title.
5. Tax Statements. The name and address where tax statements will be sent (ORS 93.260.)
6. County Clerk Lien Records. Lien amount must also be listed on the first page (ORS 205.125(1)(c) and (e).
7. Clatsop County Assessor’s Account Number. (Map and Tax Lot) (Clatsop Co. Ord 2004-03)
8. Clatsop County Situs Address (Street or Rural Address). (Clatsop Co. Ord 2004-03)
The filer make utilize a Cover Sheet to encompass this required information. If this information is not contained on the first page, an additional non-standard fee of $20.00 will be charged (ORS 205.327) (Clatsop County Ordinance 091-2).
If a document is rejected as “illegible” due to a notary and/or corporate seal or highlighting covering text, please re-do the document or consider the following options:
- If it is your opinion that the illegible information on the document is either unimportant or unnecessary, you may consider removing it or crossing it out. Please check with your legal counsel prior to doing so, the information may be required.
- If a form contains illegible text, a legible form of the same kind may be attached to the original, and it should state, “attached for legibility” somewhere on the attached page. Attaching extra pages will increase the total cost for recording.
- Signatures and rotary stamps/seals must be original; photocopies cannot be recorded.
- Notary seals must not cover text or signatures on the document.
- A notary stamp that is blurred or faint is not acceptable for recording. You may write the information outside the seal border or a new seal and/or acknowledgement can be affixed to compensate. (OAR 160-100-0000)
- Any highlighting of text or any other information on a document will cause the document to be rejected.
Legal Description Required Form
- Subdivision name, lot and block, or
- Book and page or instrument number of a recorded deed where the legal can be found.
- Assessor’s map and tax lot number or account number is not acceptable as a legal description.
Recording a Document
- You MUST provide a legible copy before your document is recorded.
- Any text of a document submitted for recording not sufficiently legible to reproduce a readable photographic record after the recording process will be returned without being recorded with an explanation of what is wrong.
- The first page of the instrument must have a 2-inch border at the top of the page, 1-inch border on the sides of the page and 1-2-inch border along the bottom of the page.
- Per ORS 93.040, the following land use statement is required on all deeds:
BEFORE SIGNING OR ACCEPTING THIS INSTRUMENT, THE PERSON TRANSFERRING FEE TITLE SHOULD INQUIRE ABOUT THE PERSON'S RIGHTS, IF ANY, UNDER ORS 195.300, 195.301 AND 195.305 TO 195.336 AND SECTIONS 5 TO 11, CHAPTER 424, OREGON LAWS 2007, AND SECTIONS 2 TO 9 AND 17, CHAPTER 855, OREGON LAWS 2009. THIS INSTRUMENT DOES NOT ALLOW USE OF THE PROPERTY DESCRIBED IN THIS INSTRUMENT IN VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAND USE LAWS AND REGULATIONS. BEFORE SIGNING OR ACCEPTING THIS INSTRUMENT, THE PERSON ACQUIRING FEE TITLE TO THE PROPERTY SHOULD CHECK WITH THE APPROPRIATE CITY OR COUNTY PLANNING DEPARTMENT TO VERIFY THAT THE UNIT OF LAND BEING TRANSFERRED IS A LAWFULLY ESTABLISHED LOT OR PARCEL, AS DEFINED IN ORS 92.010 OR 215.010, TO VERIFY THE APPROVED USES OF THE LOT OR PARCEL, TO DETERMINE ANY LIMITS ON LAWSUITS AGAINST FARMING OR FOREST PRACTICES, AS DEFINED IN ORS 30.930, AND TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF NEIGHBORING PROPERTY OWNERS, IF ANY, UNDER ORS 195.300, 195.301 AND 195.305 TO 195.336 AND SECTIONS 5 TO 11, CHAPTER 424, OREGON LAWS 2007, AND SECTIONS 2 TO 9 AND 17, CHAPTER 855, OREGON LAWS 2010.
- If this space is not provided you will be charged for an extra page ($5) of recording
- Document will be mailed back after recording.
This office cannot:
- Give legal advice.
- Provide blank forms.
- Help fill out forms. If you need help you should contact an attorney or title company.
- Suggest what type of forms to use.
- Accept illegible, smeared documents that may not provide a readable scanned image.
- Record documents other than those specified by Oregon Statutes.
- Provide birth, death and court records (including divorce decrees).