COUNTY CANDIDATE INFORMATION
MAY 20, 2014, PRIMARY ELECTION
|Sept 12, 2013
||First day for county candidates to file declaration of candidacy or nominating petition for primary election.
February 1, 2014
|First day for precinct committeeperson to file declaration of candidacy or nominating petition for primary election.
March 11, 2014
|Last day for county candidates and precinct committee persons to file declaration of candidacy or nominating petition.
|March 13, 2014
||Last day for county candidates to file candidate statement for county voters' pamphlet.
|March 14, 2014
||Last day for county candidates to file withdrawal of candidacy.
|March 19, 2014
||Material submitted (candidate statements for county candidates) for county voters' pamphlet becomes public record.
|March 20, 2014
||Last day for Secretary of State, city elections official, county governing body or district elections authority to give notice of election to county clerk.
|March 24, 2014
||Last day for filing measure arguments for county voters' pamphlet.
|March 28, 2014
||Material submitted (measure arguments) for voters' pamphlet becomes public record.
|April 4, 2014
||Long term / military ballots bailed.
|April 29, 2014
||Last day to register to vote or change party affiliation.
|May 2 - 5, 2014
Ballots are mailed.
|May 13, 2014
Public Certification Test of vote tally system, 9:00 a.m. at the Judge Guy Boyington Building at 857 Commercial St., Astoria, OR.
May 20, 2014
|ELECTION DAY: The Clatsop County Clerk's Office will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Ballots must be delivered to the County Clerk's Office, 820 Exchange Street, 2nd floor, Astoria, no later than 8:00 p.m. on this date. Postmarks are not considered.
|June 9, 2014
||Last day to prepare and deliver abstract of election results.
|June 19, 2014
||Last day to prepare and deliver certificate of nomination or election to those individuals nominated or elected at Primary election.
AVAILABLE OFFICES AND TERMS
Use this link for available offices and terms open in the May 20, 2014, Primary Election.
To be eligible to hold the position of County Commissioner, a person must be a qualified elector at the time of election or appointment, according to the state constitution, and must have resided within the district which he or she will represent for twelve (12) months immediately preceding the election or appointment. No appointive officer or county employee may serve on the board.
To be eligible to hold the position of Precinct Committeeperson, a person must be an active registered voter. They must be a member of a major political party to become a candidate for that party; must be registered in the party for 180 calendar days prior to the primary election; and must be registered in the precinct, to which they are filing.
FILING FOR CANDIDACY
You must file all candidacy forms with Clatsop County Elections, located at 820 Exchange Street, 2nd floor. You may file either by paying the required fees or by obtaining signatures.
The following information is not a substitute for reading the County Candidate Manual and the Campaign Finance Manual.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Elections office at (503) 325-8511. All forms are interactive, and can be filled in by typing directly on them.
FILING BY DECLARATION
1. If running for the office of County Commissioner, pay the filing fee of $20 and file the following forms: SEL 101 Candidate Filing Major Party - Nonpartisan and SEL 220 Statement of ORganization for Candidate Committee (not required if accepting and spending less than $750. This form must be filed with the Secretary of State electronically.)
2. Precinct Committeepersons run by filing by declaration only. If running for the office of Democratic Precinct Committeeperson or Republican Precinct Committeeperson, file the SEL 105 Precinct Committeeperson Filing Form. This form is to be filed with the county elections office no later than 5 p.m. on March 11, 2014.
FILING BY PETITION
1. File forms SEL 101 Candidate Filing Major Party - Nonpartisan, SEL 121 Candidate Signature Sheet - Nonpartisan, and SEL 220 Statement of Organization for Candidate Committee (not required if accepting and spending less than $750. This form must be filed with the Secretary of State electronically), SEL 301 Statement One or More Petition Circulators Will be Paid or No Petition Circulators Will be Paid and file as a prospective petition. All petitions circulated must conform to the forms provided by our office.
NOTE: You must file the above forms with the County CLerk's Office for approval BEFORE circulating your signature petitions.
2. Circulate your signature petitions. The required number of signatures for County Commissioner is 50. To qualify, submit at least 100% of required signatures from the precincts for which you are a candidate. It is suggested that you obtain 10 to 15 more signatures than required.
3. Signatures must be certificed by the County Elections office before candidate filing is officially accepted by the election official.
4. Submit another form SEL 101 Candidate Filing Major Party - Nonpartisan check marked "Prospective Petition with proposed signature sheet" at the bottom and form SEL 121 Candidate Signature Sheet - Nonpartisan with certified signatures.
The earliest day to file for candidacy for county commissioner position in the May 20, 2014, Primary Election is 8:30 a.m. on September 12, 2013.
The earliest day to file for candidacy for precinct committeeperson position in the May 20, 2014, Primary Election is 8:30 a.m. on February 1, 2014.
File with County Elections office no later than 5 p.m. on March 11.
Remember: Signatures on petition must be certified before filing.
CAMPAIGN FINANCE FILING
Please note, ALL committees are now required to file their campaign finance information electronically, if spending over $750 during the calendar year. There will no longer be "scheduled" reporting deadlines. Committees must electronically submit SEL 223 Campaign Account Information, and continuously report campaign finance transactions to the Secretary of State Office. The filing of all transactions will be done via the internet using the Election Division's ORESTAR campaign finance reporting system, which is used by all other political committees in Oregon. This system is available free-of-charge to all committees and allows committees to file and amend Statements of Organization, as well as file and amend campaign finance transactions. You may visit the Secretary of State's website at http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/orestar.aspx for more information on this important new change. Please contact the Secretary of State at (503) 986-1518 for help regarding campaign finance matters.
CLATSOP COUNTY VOTERS’ PAMPHLET INFORMATION
Clatsop County will be producing a voters' pamphlet for the May 20, 2014, Primary Election. The Voters Pamphlet Candidate Statement form and Statement of Endorsement forms will provide you with the information you need to successfully submit information for the voters' pamphlet. Please read all instructions carefully. You must complete the "Required Information" section again, even though you provided similar information on your candidate filing form.
- The voters' pamphlet filing fee is $50 for Commissioner Candidates.
- Voters' pamphlet filing deadline for candidates is 5 p.m., Thursday, March 13, 2014
- The filing location is Clatsop County Elections Office, 820 Exchange St., 2nd Floor, Astoria.