Concealed Weapons Permits

Concealed Weapons Permits


What you will need to bring to the Sheriff's Office to apply for CHL - Monday - Friday 10:00 - 11:30 AM

  • Fees
  • Fingerpring cards
  • Two pieces of ID
  • Proof of competency with a handgun
  • Names and Addresses for 2 character references
  • Washington Residents must have valid WA driver's license or ID plus valid WA CHL

New applicant's fee - $65.00 (Cash or check made out to Clatsop County Sheriff's Office)

New applicant's fee Washington Residents: $70.00 (Cash or check made out to Clatsop County Sheriff's Office)

Renewal fee: $50 (Cash or check made out to Clatsop County Sheriff's Office)

Transfer/ Address Change/ Replacement: $15 (Cash or check made out to Clatsop County Sheriff's Office)

FINGERPRINTS: New applicants must be fingerprinted. Fingerprints are done at the Clatsop County Jail, 636 Duane Street, Astoria. The hours are 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. Do not bring a weapon or pocketknife with you, children will not be allowed in the jail. Once fingerprinted bring the fingerprint cards and application to the Sheriff&'s Office at 355 7th Street, Astoria.

IDENTIFICATION: Two pieces of current identification are required, one of which must be a valid Oregon driver's license or identification card showing your residence address. Oregon Vehicle Code 807.110(3) requires that a license shall contain the residence address of the person to whom the license is issued. If you own property in more than one county you can have two addresses on your driver's license, but the first must be your primary residence.

NOTE: Your application will not be accepted if your driver's license does not contain your current residence address in Clatsop County or Pacific, Grays Harbor or Wahkiakun County in Washington State.

HAND GUN COMPETENCY: New applicants must document compliance with ORS 166.291(f) by one of the methods provided by law as follows:

  • Completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course.
  • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college or private institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course.
  • Completion of any law enforcement safety or training course offered for security guards, investigators, and reserve law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course.
  • Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service. To present proper documentation through the military service, please bring your DD214. Your DD214 MUST show training/qualification with a handgun, sidearm or pistol. Should your DD214 indicate only "small arms qualification" it does not qualify as handgun safety training. In this case you will need to take a handgun safety course to meet this requirement. There are no exceptions.
  • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm under ORS 166.291 in this state, unless the license has been revoked.
    NOTE: If you fail to provide this documentation your application will not be processed.


Pacific, Grays Harbor or Wahkiakum County Washington residents may apply for an Oregon CHL in Clatsop County. In addition to other requirements outlined in the packet, eligible Washington State residents must provide the following with their application: A detailed letter from you, addressed to the Sheriff's Office, outlining the reasons you desire to have a concealed handgun license issued in Clatsop County for the State of Oregon. You will also be required to sign a release of information allowing the Sheriff's Office to request background information from DSHS/Mental Health Division in Washington State.

Please be aware: January 2008 brings new laws that change the criteria accepted for applicants of concealed handgun license, as well as the criteria used in the past. If you fall into one of the new categories for disqualification, even if you previously had a CHL, you will be denied and your money will not be refunded. Please note:

  • If you are a registered sex offender, in any state you are no longer eligible to have a concealed handgun license, even if you do not have any misdemeanor or felony charges.
  • If you have been convicted of more than one Schedule I drug charge, you are not eligible for a concealed handgun license. However, under the new law, you may have had one conviction, for less than one ounce of marijuana, and still get a CHL, if you have no other convictions. If you have court ordered diversion and one drug charge, it counts as two and you are not eligible for a CHL.
  • Federal law now makes it unlawful for any person convicted of a crime of domestic violence to possess firearms or ammunition. Federal domestic violence law states that the use, or attempted use, of physical force, or the threatened use of physical force, or the threatened use of deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim, this law makes you ineligible for a permit in Oregon.
  • In addition, federal law prohibits any person from possessing firearms or ammunition who is subject to a court order (restraining order or stalking order) that was issued after a hearing in which such person received actual notice and had an opportunity to appear.
  • If you are active military and are deployed out of the county, or in another state, you may renew by mail. You must send a copy of the orders showing your deployment (with the beginning and ending dates) with your application, old permit, and renewal fee.
  • If you have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Military Service you are not eligible for a CHL.
  • You must be 21 years old at the time of application.
  • If you are not a US Citizen you are probably not eligible.

(If you fail to provide this documentation, you're application will not be processed)

For those applicants who were not born a United States citizen, but have become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must present proof of citizenship with your application or renewal (either a US Passport or your Naturalization papers). If you bring in your Naturalization papers we will include a copy with your file. Applicants who are born in a foreign country (parents were US citizens) need to provide either a State Department birth certificate or US passport. If you have not yet applied for citizenship and do not have proof of a date scheduled, you are not eligible.

ATTENTION: Oregon law allows for the denial of a concealed handgun license if you have a history, which shows an inclination toward confrontation with others, including neighbors, family members, etc. You may also be denied a concealed handgun license if you have a history of conflict with law enforcement officers, offenses with firearms, documented problems involving alcohol and/or drug abuse. If any of these conditions apply to you and you nonetheless feel you are eligible for a license, return to this office appropriate documentation, dates and explanation of circumstances including copies of any applicable pardons, certificates of discharge, or court orders surrounding your circumstances for further consideration.


CHL Application

Pacific, Grays Harbor or Wahkiakum County WA Application

CHL Renewal and Transfer Application